I know, there’s always a ton of reasons to put it off:
- You don’t know code and think you have to hire an expensive professional designer – NOT ALWAYS
- Funds are tight and you can’t justify that pricey investment – How’s just about FREE work for you?
- You don’t have the time, and clearly a website is a long-term project – Ever heard of the iterative process? Get Version 1.0 out first and work from there.
Sure there are cases when you’ll need to turn to dedicated web and graphic designers for the heavy lifting. But if you follow these 8 easy steps, you’ll find that a professional looking website to promote your business is within your reach and your capabilities – no code, no experience necessary. Promise!
- First Find a Web Host. Basic web hosting will cost about $9.95 per month. Here’s a list of the top 5 according to Lifehacker and a few more from PCMag. You’ll also need a domain name – what you want to call your site. That’s a no-brainer too. Domain names are cheap, some as low as 99 cents the first year, then $15 and some change to renew yearly. Here’s a list to get you started.
- Install WordPress. Relax! It’s easy. All the major web hosting companies offer One-Click installs. That’s right – ONE CLICK and you go from none to one super sharp website in minutes.
- Set Things Up. Pop into the WordPress “dashboard”. Here’s a pic. You’re the pilot of this ship and this is your control panel. All the magic happens here. Set up your homepage, a contact form, an About page, get ready to blog, add all those compelling reasons why everyone should do business with you. If you can use Microsoft Word, you can create an amazing website with WordPress.
- Next Choose Your Theme. This gives your site its look and feel. There are literally thousands upon thousands of WordPress themes, both free and premium. It’s easy to fall down the rabbit hole of endless theme choices, so be forewarned. Our priority today is to get you a professional looking website that you’ll be proud to promote. WordPress comes with a pre-installed default theme and 4 alternative themes. Any one of these will give you a clean mobile friendly website. And when you are ready to get something that speaks more to your soul your new theme is just a click away.
- Customize Your Site. With WordPress you have full control over how your site looks. The sky’s the limit and it’s super easy to do. Remember that promise of no coding? WordPress is all WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). Think Microsoft Word. It’s just that easy.
- Add Plugins. After you’ve gotten comfortable with the basics of WordPress it’s time to venture out and stretch its limits. That’s where Plugins come in. Again, it’s a rabbit hole with literally thousands to choose from. I suggest you stick with only those that give your site the functionality you absolutely can’t live without.
- Add Content that Attracts. You’ll want to add images in your posts and pages and even video and audio. You’ll be a media wiz in no time. Again, we’re talking plug and play. No technical gymnastics required.
- Finally Share and Get Social. Once your site is live it’s time to show your handcrafted website to the world. All it takes is another few clicks and your content is shared on all your social media channels.
Now that wasn’t so hard was it? This was a mere overview to show you how easy it is to get yourself a basic professional looking website. There are details I’ve left out in the interest of brevity. To fill the gaps for you, here’s one of my favorite WordPress tutorial sites. The videos are a free signup and well worth the price of an email. He’s also got coupon codes to tons of WordPress resources.
If you get stuck at any point, just reach out. I’m here to help.